PROGRAM VS. CAPITAL SUPPORT
The Fund concentrates on providing program support earmarked for program creation, expansion, or improvement. (General operating support is rarely provided.) Capital support is generally awarded only in connection with specific program support needs.
The Fund does not make grants to any of the following:
- Organizations that do not have 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, except in the case of non-U.S. charitable, nonprofit organizations that lack a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) fiscal intermediary.
- Medical research programs.
- Conferences or media events (unless they are an integral part of a broader program of direct service).
- Efforts to influence legislation or elections.
- Organizations seeking support for deficit reduction or emergency funding.
The Fund rarely provides general operating support.
Grant proposals should be sent to:
Andrew S. Fisher, Executive Director
Lavelle Fund for the Blind, Inc.
307 West 38th Street, Suite 2010
New York, NY 10018
Phone: (212) 668-9801
Fax: (212) 668-9803
The Fund asks that applicants please use the Guide for Grant Proposals. The Guide is based in large part on the New York/New Jersey Area Common Application Form, which was created by Philanthropy New York.
PROPOSAL REVIEW PROCESS
Organizations interested in seeking Fund support should first submit a letter of inquiry.
Grant proposals may be submitted at any time. All proposals submitted to the Fund will be acknowledged. Site visits or meetings are generally scheduled for grant requests that are candidates for Board review. Applicants with questions about the Fund’s grant application or review procedures should feel free to call the Fund.